Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Not a wordless wednesday today!!

Monday was  a normal work day for two hours and then I made a trip to the Emergency Room ..good thing it is only down the hall from where I work..there are some perks to working in a hospital..well on this day I was truely thankful that I worked in a hospital...I felt  like I had a bouncy ball in my chest..within an hour I had and EKG and was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation..my heart was beating at about 140..then it would bounce down to 80 and back up again..this went on for over eight hours..my normal heartrate is about 55-60....

"Atrial fibrillation (AF or A-fib) is the most common cardiac arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm) and involves
 the two upper chambers (atria) of the heart. Its name comes from the fibrillating (i.e. quivering) of the heart muscles of the atria, instead of a coordinated contraction. It can often be identified by taking a pulse and observing that the heartbeats don't occur at regular intervals"

The top line is Atrial Fibrillation and the bottom is normal sinus rhythm..I was told by the Doctor that they would try IV medication first and see if my heart would go back to normal sinus rhythm..no luck with that..next option and the only option left was a "Cardioversion"..
Cardioversion is a brief procedure where an electrical shock is delivered to the heart to convert an abnormal heart rhythm back to a normal rhythm.  I was sedated for about 10-15 minutes and this procedure was performed..I woke up and my rate was back to a normal 65 beats!!..

Needless to say this was a long and stressful day for all of us..I took Tuesday off as a rest day and went back to work today.....it felt strange to go back to work and walk through Emergency and look at the stretcher spot that I was in but it all turned out for the best.my near death experience is but a memory now and a wake up call.....all the blood work came back normal so we can only hope that this situation will not "rear its ugly head again"..off to the Cardiologist at the end of March just to make sure that all is well....

The strange thing about this episode is that a co-worker was diagnosed with the same condition yesterday!!..we are beginning to think that maybe there is something in the water??..or maybe it is time to retire???..Doug would like that!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I would have taken week off after that. Heck I took a week off with a sinus infection! I hope your HB stays normal now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for retirement!! So glad to read that you are OK now. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! That's what I get for skipping a day reading my favorite blogs.
    Glad you are ok and things are back to normal.

    I vote for retirement also!! Yes, yes, yes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to add.....take good care of yourself!!

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...