Monday, November 8, 2010

115 years ago!!….

 

What was 115 years ago?..the invention of X-rays!!!

In 1895, German physics professor Wilhelm Röntgen discovered X-rays by accident. Röntgen named the wavelength “X-ray” because this type of radiation was unknown type, so he referred to it as “X”.

08_11_2010_11_51_51_2027013010-300x170

why is this important to me?..well I work in the medical imaging department at the Royal Columbian Hospital..

x-ray

no..I don’t take the pictures but I bring the patients to the department so the technologists can push the buttons to take the pictures!!

wrist_hand_x_ray

how hard can it be to take pictures all day..take a deep breath…hold your breath..okay breathe away!..I hear those words at least 25-30 times a day!…

Plans_X_Ray_Machine

once the pictures are done..I return the patients..doesn’t sound like a difficult job now does it…walking, wheelchairs, beds, stretchers… ICU patients with lots of equipment..my day is full of all different kinds of transfers…some are easier than others..

Considering the fact that I started working in the hospital in 1976..serving soup in the dietary department…this job as a ‘medical imaging tech-aide’..is a step up from the beginning..no schooling was involved..just on the job training…

I consider my self very lucky…the benefits outweigh all the other things…sick time..( seven months worth banked)..44 days vacation..good pension plan..medical and dental..can’t really ask for more than that!!

So this week at work there will be a ‘thank-you’ celebration for all the ‘x-ray technologists’  ....for all their hard work….pushing buttons must be  very difficult!!??

 

All kidding aside…to be an x-ray technologist…    the schooling and on the job training is very involved!..there is a lot more to it than just pushing the button!!

Happy 115th anniversary X-RAY!!

7 comments:

  1. 115 years, who knew. We would be in a a world of hurt without them and those who work with the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have guessed that x-rays have been around for 115 years. I'll bet the safety precautions used in those days were pretty scary!! I think I remember a few of those "take a deep breath, hold it, o.k, you can breathe out"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father was a radiologist and mom was an x-ray tech; in fact, they met because their jobs brought them together at the hospital where they both worked, so I have something extra to be thankful for when I think of Wilhelm Röntgen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting post today. What a long way we've come in the last 115 years. Your job sounds great. Most people don't have all those benefits anymore. You're smart to realize and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our daughter Chris started as x-ray tech and got her degree in Vascular Ultra Sound...She has a great job and loves it at Methodist Hospital in Indy...The Google header was great this week, wasn't it???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huhnh! Who knew x-Rays were so old! Thanks for adding another wrinkle to my brain. Maybe we should x-ray it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your service! Providing patients with safe and courteous transport is so commendable. I'm sure the radiology department appreciates your assistance.

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...