Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Perception????

ATT00001

 

In Washington ,
DC , at a Metro Station, on a cold
January morning in 2007, this man with a violin
played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes.
During that time, approximately 2,000
people went through the station, most of them on
their way to work.  After about 3 minutes,
a middle-aged man noticed that there was a
musician playing.  He slowed his pace and
stopped for a few seconds, and then he hurried
on to meet his schedule.
About
4 minutes later:

The
violinist received his first dollar.  A
woman threw money in the hat and, without
stopping, continued to walk.
At 6
minutes:

A young
man leaned against the wall to listen to him,
then looked at his watch and started to walk
again.
At
10 minutes:

A 3-year
old boy stopped, but his mother tugged him along
hurriedly.  The kid stopped to look at the
violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and
the child continued to walk, turning his head
the whole time.  This action was repeated
by several other children, but every parent -
without exception - forced their children to
move on quickly.
At
45 minutes:

The musician
played continuously.  Only 6 people stopped
and listened for a short while.  About 20
gave money but continued to walk at their normal
pace.  The man collected a total of
$32.
After
1 hour:

He
finished playing and silence took over.  No
one noticed and no one applauded.  There
was no recognition at
all.

No one
knew this, but the violinist
was
Joshua
Bell
, one of
the greatest musicians in the world.  He
played one of the most intricate pieces ever
written, with a violin worth $3.5 million
dollars.  Two days before, Joshua
Bell sold-out a
theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100
each to sit and listen to him play the same
music.
This is a
true story.  Joshua Bell, playing incognito
in the D.C. Metro Station, was organized by the
Washington Post as part
of a social experiment about
perception, taste and
people's
priorities
.
This
experiment raised several
questions:

*In a
common-place environment, at an inappropriate
hour, do we perceive
beauty?
*If so, do
we stop to appreciate
it?
*Do we
recognize talent in an unexpected
context?
One
possible conclusion reached from this experiment
could be this:

If
we do not have a moment to stop and listen to
one of the best musicians in the world, playing
some of the finest music ever written, with one
of the most beautiful instruments ever made . .
.

How
many other things are we missing as we rush
through life?

…..point taken..lesson learned..stop and smell the roses along the way..life is moving so fast we fail to notice the special things along the way..we are all in a hurry to get on with the next stage of our life..we are guilty of it..and we know it..”life is a journey not the destination”


13 comments:

  1. Interesting and thought provoking blog. The question I asked myself is "would I have stopped to listen?" Probably not.

    The main reason is that I wouldn't know good violin music from bad! And as for Bach, none of his greatest hits comes to mind.

    I'll take the time to stop and look at a lot of different things, but a guy playing a violin isn't one of them.

    Great blog idea though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is too stinkin' short to be in a hurry for anything.
    I would have stopped and listened and dropped some money in his pot as I have for others. I enjoy and usually envy others' talents especially when it comes to music. One of my favorite things to do while visiting Victoria, is to observe the street performers along the seawall in the harbour.
    Don't just stop to smell the roses, stop to enjoy all that surrounds you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing...thank you for sharing. Just posted a link to the blog on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue, this is another one of your fabulous posts! I haven't heard this story. I do know who Joshua Bell and I appreciate his talent and his fine instrument and the fine composers whose music he plays. I wish I were listening to him right now. But would I have to listen to him at the metro station? Probably not, because I would have been TOO BUSY and on a schedule. Food for thought, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. People "perceived" the man with the violin to be a down and out muscian and because of their perception never took the time to "listen" to the beautiful music coming from the man creating the music through his violin. Interesting study and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kids would have stopped and listened because they are not yet jaded. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, very interesting and so typical! Being a musician myself tho, I'd have to say that hopefully I would stop to listen and appreciate! The arts are a favorite of mine and money going towards them instead of sports are currently a hot topic in our location since a one cent sales tax recently passed to fund a $9 million plus sports complex! Education in the arts and music is something that each individual will have for the rest of their life ~ high school football; if one player is great he MIGHT use that for part of the rest of his life!

    Whoa....this is me getting off my soapbox in your comment box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good post. I am sure we are guilty of rushing to some unimportant event, and pass up something great. We do need to take more time for special things. Human nature being it what it is, I am sure we will miss a lot we could have enjoyed in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible amazing story - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post. I like to think I would have stopped to listen. What I found most interesting was the children. What if one of them was a potential musical genius, and his mom drug him away instead of encouraging him to listen.

    It's sad people are too busy to see or hear the beauty around them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! That makes me think about how many times I passed by musicians in BART stations in San Francisco. Sadly, I never gave it any thought. Thankfully, I've slowed down since then...

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this from start to finish. Absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I HAVE HEARD THIS STORY....AMAZING...I LOVE THE STREET MUSICIANS..WE HAVE THEM LOTS IN CHICAGO...SO I WOULD HAVE PAUSED TO LISTEN AND DONATE...GREAT STORY.

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...