Sunday, March 27, 2011

We love a challenge…

Life in general can be very challenging some days but we get through it …So we have now accepted the offer of yet another challenge…

As a previous post I had shown pictures of our condo  on a good day..after the dusting, vacuuming, floor washing and bathroom scrubbing had been done..yes, I am a bit of ‘clean freak’…I will admit it…OCD..obsessive cleaning disorder??

IMG_5547 IMG_5550 IMG_5553 IMG_5556

IMG_5546

now, we know the reality of life in general that any normal person cannot live in house that is clean all the time..life’s challenges do get in the way…and sometimes it is more important to get outside and enjoy life rather than staying inside and cleaning all the time…..but….

Where is this going you ask?…well, the condo next door to us is owned by our friends..it has been rented out for the past couple of years..the latest tenants have just vacated the condo..these tenants told our friends that they were not going to clean up…their ‘exact word were’..”just keep the damage deposit”

Well..our friend, Debbie is not well and is not able to clean up the ‘disaster left behind….so we offered to clean it for her…We will be paid for this ‘job’….and since it is just next door it would be easy for  us to get it done…

We took some pictures of the condition that it was left in..

2011-03-27-1602-21the kitchen sink is brown..instead of shiny stainless steel..the light fixtures are full of dirt..the grout is brown instead of white..the appliances?..well you get the picture…

2011-03-27-1602-211  

the baseboards are just disgusting….never been cleaned in two years…the carpet..well, I don’t think it has seen a vacuum cleaner..it is in for a big shock when we start sucking up all the dirt!..2011-03-27-1602-212

these are from the bathrooms…a mould and mildew mess…never mind the bathroom exhaust fans has ‘hairy things’ hanging from it..

2011-03-27-1602-213and then there is the window ledges and the doors..…suppose to be white.??

as you can see we have our ‘work cut out for us’…armed with rubber gloves, Windex , Mr.Clean, Pinesol, Magic Erasers,  a vacuum cleaner , our handy dandy steam cleaner and SOS pads…we will venture into this job with an open mind…and some elbow grease..we accept this as a challenge…stay tuned for the transformation…it will  be a few days before you see the difference!!!

In closing, all I can say is how I cannot believe how a ‘renter’ can treat someone’s home like this….we have rented  before and have  been denied because we have pets..this couple did not have pets…so maybe this should be a lesson that not all renters with animals are bad..maybe the ones without are??..well..at least these ones were!!!..shame on them!!

23 comments:

  1. face mask face mask!!! add that...you never know what might be lurking in that mold and crap! probably TMI here, but the cultures from my last sinus surgery included staph and two kinds of fungus so please protect your noses!!!!! you guys are very brave for going there into that mess!

    now~about those renters...terrible, just terrible! total disregard for property, and would probably treat their own that way too, if they are ever able to afford their own....

    please protect yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once rented my house in Sacramento when the market was upside/down and I couldn't sell. When the market improved, my son took a crew of his guys up there from San Diego for a week. Of course they painted, cleaned up the yard, refinished the counters and baths, too. I don't know what all they did, but from the photos when they were finished with the cleanup, I wished I could move back in.
    You are so nice to help your neighbor, even if she pays you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think this will cure you of your OCD?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are brave souls to take on a challenge like this! I think diposable coverall are in order for your health!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that people don't seem to care if things are not their's. You are nice to help in the cleaning even if there is pay for it. Gerri is the same way, "clean and in order"
    Take care and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a challenge that you've taken on. But I do know your neighbor will greatly appreciate your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad your doing all that & not me.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice of you both to offer to clean the mess up for your friends. Pretty disgusting to leave like that and not even care. At least they don't get their damage deposit back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with a face mask!!

    I have to say that I have seen much worse places after a tenant has left. This one looks pretty good next to what Steve and Vanessa had to clean-up when they bought their condo that had been tenant occupied. It took a week for 4 of us to clean it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen worse.

    By the way, I love your use of color in the pictures of your place. Very dramatic and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that your condo is the exception to the I rule, due to your continued care and cleaning. In my opinion, many renters don't care, and many homeowners don't either. I hope that your "elbow grease" will turn things around and that you won't be there to see it the next time it needs cleaning. Maybe your friend should double her damage deposit? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YUK! You're a jewel for stepping in. Don't think I would want to do that. Good luck - don't forget the bleach! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was a policeman, I went into homes that were being lived in that looked a lot worse than that. I used to feel sorry for the kid's because I knew what chance did they have if their parents were that lazy. Good Luck. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is sad when others can't respect a property that is rented out to them. That's one of the reasons I've always shied away from renting property to others.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, what a mess. Sure don't envy you tackling that job. I have seen much worse though from renters and heard horror stories of what renters left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I did notice in your condo photos that you are sort of a neatnik! Absolutely nothing wrong with that, I am too. That's one of the reasons we haven't rented out our home in the winter, people just don't seem to care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have had a rental home...never again!!What a pain in the $%&*

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really do have one heck of a challenge there. I am sure your friend really appreciates your hard work though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Your home is beautiful...I love all the color and the clean! You have your work cut out for you next door. My parents owned rental property so I know just how bad it can get...some people enjoy living in their own filth. Good luck...but, I know how satisfying the end result will be!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good Luck! This is why I no longer own renteral property. How about peanut butter on the ceiling? Yuck some people are just nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yep, some people do like to live like barn yard animals. Disgusting? Yes! These renters had zero class. Best of luck with the cleaning....but I sense this place will look really clean in short order.

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...