Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why bother trying to explain??…

 

 

“What's a blog?

“A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.

Your blog is whatever you want it to be. There are millions of them, in all shapes and sizes, and there are no real rules.

In simple terms, a blog is a website, where you write stuff on an ongoing basis. New stuff shows up at the top, so your visitors can read what's new. Then they comment on it or link to it or email you. Or not.

Since Blogger was launched in 1999, blogs have reshaped the web, impacted politics, shaken up journalism, and enabled millions of people to have a voice and connect with others.

And we are pretty sure the whole deal is just getting started.”

Have you ever tried to explain what your blog  is all about   to someone who doesn’t understand what ‘blogging is ?’

“Your blog is your unedited version of

yourself.”

Either they can understand the concept or the idea of putting thoughts and pictures on the internet?..or they wonder why on earth do you waste your time doing that??..Strangers reading your thoughts?…that is just plain weird..isn’t it dangerous?..there is ‘bad people out there on the internet?..aren’t you scared about publishing your thoughts???

So once the conversation starts to go sideways..I just stop trying to explain why I do what I do…it just seems easier to keep my mouth shut than to try and explain even more…you know the old saying..’open mouth insert foot..open wider and insert the other foot’..some people just don’t get it….why bother even trying to make them understand…

I use to be one of those that used Facebook to post all our pictures of the places we go and the things we see..haven’t done that in a while..heck, I even used the ‘cyber dust bin’ and cleaned up all the “friends” that I felt didn’t really care where we went or what we were doing…

There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t try and come up with something that would be ‘blog worthy’..some days I have nothing worthy of sharing…the rainy days don’t do much for my ‘blogging mood’..

I wish I could be one of those writers who have something new and interesting to write about every day…and beautiful pictures to share..but I just am not that creative…it is hard some days to make something out of nothing!…

Reading my list of  blogs is like looking at the newspaper everyday..catching up on all the ‘news and stories’ of the day…a wealth of information is out there..you just have to know where to look…

so for now..my blog is what is …my thoughts, my journal,my online scrapbook…at least it won’t weigh anything when we ‘hit the road’!!

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” – Dr. Seuss

20 comments:

  1. Right on the button!

    I have family members who just don't get it. To me it's much like sitting in a small town coffee shop or bar. People come and go. Some are happy, some sad. Some make a lot of sense and you can learn from them, and others are not all that interesting.

    I like to tell my story to who ever wants to read it. In a strange way, blogging makes me more aware of my life.

    I never feel like I have to post something every day. Often the time I spend making comments and reading others is all I have.

    That Seuss quote really sums it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Doug. That was fun. "We" get it, even if some folks don't. I especially love that blogging has no rules, that it is whatever we want it to be. My favorite is looking up where we were last year, or what month we went to where, or saw so and so. I would never in a million years remember any other way, and the pictures really help too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember what I did yesterday let alone what I did last year! Blogging is perfect for me!! For instance... I know EXACTLY what I did on April 14, 2010...go and just ask me!! haha
    Take care!
    P

    ReplyDelete
  4. You explained it well. It's true, some people just don't get it and that's okay. People always want to know, doesn't it take a lot of time? Well, sometimes it does, but blogging is one of the things I choose to do with my time. If I can't always think of things to post, I can spend some of my free time reading and commenting on other blogs. It's satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't spend any time trying to explain blogging to friends or family. It's just a fun thing most of the time and if they don't get it, then they just don't get it. I can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said! I used to use FB alot too but rarely do anymore. Blogging is a better venue for keeping friends up to date and for keeping my memory up to date as well. I always like to read your blog and I loved the Dr. Seuss quote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I get it" and I like your blog, and you always take the time to write nice comments on other blogs. This newspaper is more pleasant than regular newspapers that are all "gloom & doom".

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always found blogging an excellent creative outlet in many ways. I would say 98% of our blog readers are people we have never met & would say about 98% of all family & friends we know......never read it. And why that is I have no idea but maybe that is just as well. I will probably look back on my blogging years some day with a mixture of emotions. There has been some pride & there has been some embarrassment. Anger & sadness have mixed well with happiness & excitement. Blogging has been a tremendous learning experience for me as I am sure it has been for others. You have given me some thoughts for a future post:))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup. Well said.
    If you have to try and explain it, then you're already spinning your wheels.
    A slightly whacky example? I don't "get" skydiving. Why would you want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, unless it has something to do with being behind enemy lines? Same with trying to explain blogging. If a person doesn't "get it", there's just no point trying to explain.

    If it's of no interest to the reader, then there's that little "x" up at the top of the screen. Simple as that. Nobody's arms are getting twisted here.

    I just find it heaps easier than trying to remember whom I should send the next email to. Plus, like Paulette said, it does make a nice record of where you have been.

    The other thing is, would I have a clue that half the State of Texas had been scorched over the last few days had I not been reading someone's blog?
    I doubt it very much.

    It's also those other snippets that make it that much more an enjoyable thing.

    Of course, your mileage may vary.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just tell people, it's my way of taking my memories along with me on the road ... if others want to read them ... more power to them. That usually brings the conversation to an end :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am also in the "used to use facebook a lot" category. Once I started blogging, I stopped posting on fb - didn't have enough time for both, and liked blogging better. :) I keep my fb account so I can see what my "friends" are up to though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the Dr. Seuss quote. My family loves the blog and so do our friends but you are right, it is hard to explain to someone exactly what a blog is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My kids still don't believe we have a blog..they prefer Facebook..I think a blog allows you more freedom to expound on simple stuff...I could find something to write about in my closet...the cobwebs, maybe...Probably I have way too much to say about nothing!! Keep up the great blog...The ones who don't get it ...such is life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Most of my friends are surprised to learn I blog all thinking it would have been the last thing I ever did...but then I blog differently then you. My blog is more of a photo album and short discription of my bird outings. I also still use FB and Twitter quite a bit and will continue to do so.
    I'm not sure if I will blog more once we move but if I do I know I won't be explaining it to anyone as the #1 reason I do it is for myself and don't care if anyone reads, follows or understands.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A reallife newspaper, yes. Reading the blogs of rv folk is my dessert every night. It helps to keep our dream of fulltiming alive. (Also gives us more places to add to my places-to-see list.) For those of us to get it.... great!! For those who don't... give em time.

    Keep em coming. Lessie and Ed (TARDIS)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This blog is called "hitting the nail on the head".... well said.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fantastic post. I've been out of contact for the last week and the first thing I wanted to do was catch up on everybody's blogs. Find out what they've been doing while I was gone. What they've been thinking about and experiencing. I don't even try to explain blogging - I just tell them to read some of them. And I definitely don't post every day. Especially when we are just sitting in one place for a month. Then other times there is too much to put in one blog.

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...