Sunday, May 8, 2011

Got gas?

 

We headed east in search of cheap gas today…our price in our neighbourhood was $1.38 a liter….or $5.22 a gallon..

Fullscreen capture 08052011 81445 PM

Doug found some cheaper gas in Silverdale, just outside Mission..only 36 kilometers from us…so off we went…their price?..$1.23 a liter..or $4.65 a gallon…yes, we know we had to drive a bit of distance but it we needed to escape the confines of our condo for the morning....

we had a quiet afternoon at home..nothing too much going on here except for the the ‘price of water’!!..

Last weekend when were on Vancouver Island  we wound up forgetting the laptop power cable..

IMG_6014

I called the hotel when we got home they said that they could send it back to us for a nominal fee..on Monday there was a charge of $13.33 on our visa card from the Westin Bear Mountain..I thought oh that is not too bad…to purchase a new one it would have been over $50..

Well, early this morning I was on the computer checking our bank accounts and found a $19.43 charge from the courier company?..I called the hotel to inquire…and she asked me if we had taken the bottles of water from our room ( we thought they were complimentary?)..there they are on the table in our room..did we read the fine print??..nope…

IMG_5888

IMG_6009

Here they are at home..$13.33 for two bottles of water…in comparison if we paid the price per liter that we pay for gas.. it works out to $1.96 for the 1.42 liters of water....and here we thought gas was expensive????

We will savour every drop of this ‘clear clean water’!

2011_05_08

 

Happy Mother’s Day to all the ‘Mom’s’ out there…hope everyone had a great day!

216328_212391048780675_100000293456015_798177_4419895_n

21 comments:

  1. Precisely why I take my own water, everywhere!
    BTW, if you came all the way into Mission, gas was a $1.19 ;-)
    Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day despite the cost of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost made the same mistake awhile ago. But something told me to read the fine print and that's when I found out the bottles of water were $5 a piece. That certainly stopped me in my tracks. That is just ridiculous. Hope your Mother's Day made up for the pain at the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had to pay $4 for a bottle of water at the Winterhawks games this weekend, and I thought that was expensive. I would have brought in my own, but you can't bring anything in, just like at the airport.

    The Canadian gas prices are going to make us think twice about visiting Canada in the near future. The cheapest we've found it in Vancouver, WA is $3.89/gallon at Fred Meyer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With some hotels offering complimentary bottles and others charging for them, it gets confusing. We paid for it once ... and that was enough. While we filter our own water at home, we have a stash of bottles in our car and take a few up to the room on those few occasions that we find ourselves staying in a hotel these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sneaky of the Westin--shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got burnt the same way my first night on a cruise ship. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats ridiculous...and one reason we prefer our motor home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We did the same thing at the Longboat Key Hilton for our daughter's wedding....2 bottles of water, $10.00. I got so mad...I called and said, "HEY, we just had a wedding here with 90 people...and your charging the parents of the bride for 2 bottle of water?"..They took the charge back..Squeaky ,bitchy ,witchy wheel gets the grease..!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty outrageous charges for a couple of bottles of water. Judging from comments here, it seems to be a pretty widespread practice. Nice discreet and unfair way to jack up the room rates. What next, charging extra for pillows??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad so many companies have chosen deception to enhance their profit line. It's widespread & will only get worse. One of my big beefs is with Tim Hortons & how have they are progressively & sneakily downsizing their cups of coffee. And they just had another price increase. I can see Horton's going to thimble sized cups of coffee for $5 & $6 a pop!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is pretty pricey water, I would be drinking it very sloooow!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing in life is free any longer. Such a rip-off. Hope you had a great Mother's day too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a rip off... hard to believe it is coming to this... we had a great Mother's Day, hope you did as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geez...can't wait until they find a way to meter the air you breathe and charge for that too!! Live and learn I guess. Other than that, glad you had a good day. I really enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch! That's some fancy water. I hope you savored every drop.

    As to the gas prices, I've decided I'm only going to drive on downhill roads and coast. ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad I do not patronize hotels any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh good grief....that is terrible. Why does everyone have to be so sneaky and so greedy! I'm glad we don't patronize hotels as well. Glad you managed to have an enjoyable Day anyway....keep um a coming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that is some expensive water!! Really!!!!
    Gas, your way, is really expensive and I suppose it is a sign of things to come our way. Oh well, whats a person to do????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oooops! I almost forgot....Happy Mother's Day to you! I hope you had a really special day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This kind of buffoonery is what leads to bad reputations and dwindling tourism. Ho Hum. You can buy wine for cheaper than those water bottles in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a disgrace,,,,I believe I'd write to Head Honcho, if nothing else just to let them know they shafted you and you WILL remember it!! That is pure disgrace,,,,,,,I'd be so mad, I would sic my Wife on the,,,she would get the money back....She has done it!

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...