Friday, October 21, 2011

The wheels…

 

The wheels on the bus go round and round..and take me to work….don’t be late because the bus waits for no one!!

Translink-bus-R7149

for a nominal fee of $3.75 or $31 if you purchase a book of  ten fare savers…

597329_s

The bus ride portion of my ride is about a half hour..and this morning as I was riding I noticed something…

There are  what seems to be some ‘common items’ that transit users bring along…

Stainless%20Steel%20Travel%20Mug687

a travel mug..to keep that second cup of coffee nice and hot..and a no spill mug is a must!

HT1353_15

a music playing device to ward off any unwanted conversations from fellow riders…..

apple-iphone-3g-01

and then of course there is the trusty cell phone that no transit rider is without..you just never know if the bus is going to be late..or there could be an emergency text message that needs to be sent..

 

isabella-backpack

a backpack to hold all the items you need to bring along..

Collapsible-umbrella---This-um-4983722

a small collapsible umbrella..in case it rains..after all we don’t call this the ‘wet coast’ for nothing..

24hours

and then there is the free 24 hours daily newspaper….I for one, like doing the crossword..good exercise for the brain…have to ward off Alzheimer’s somehow..

so there you have the top six items that most transit riders have…

Now onto the etiquette of riding public transit…

Taking transit means sharing space ..some days it is like riding in a sardine can..so please use  some common sense..and  deodorant!

  • Courtesy seats …closest to the doors are for the elderly, handicapped and mother’s with strollers.
  • Move to the back of the bus so others can get on.
  • Please have your fare ready before you board the bus.
  • your backpack does not need a seat nor do your feet.
  • if your personal audio device can be heard by the other riders it is too loud.
  • if you are going to use your cell phone..please speak quietly..the rest of us really don’t care about what you did last night!!

etiquette_campaign_blah

  • remove your backpack before getting on the bus so you don’t hit other passengers with it as you move down the aisle.

etiquette_campaign_ouch

  • keep the doorways clear so others can get on and off.

so there you have it folks..life of a transit user…just a few simple etiquette rules to make life easier for all who use the transit system..

aren’t you glad you ride the bus???

This is my stop….Sapperton Station…thanks for riding along and obeying the rules..

sapperton-lrt-station

have a nice day…see you next time..

19 comments:

  1. Cute post - never had to ride a bus to work, thank goodness. How many miles one way? Sorry, but people with backpacks are a pain in my back, shoulder, wherever they decide to bump into me. Hate them on planes as they bump everyone they pass. Also at Disney World while they wait in lines, constantly bumping into people. Sorry, I must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning - grumble, grumble, grumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just reaffirmed all the reasons why I'm not overly keen on public transit, and it's fairly cheap here in Vienna at €1,80 per ride. Supposed to go up to €2 next year.
    Just sharing that space will all those yakking, sneezing, stinking strangers is just SUCH a joy!
    I'll take the car whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been many moons since I last road the bus on a daily basis. Cost in those days was $.25 a ride plus $.05 for a transfer. Can't say that I miss those days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot to learn. I have never taken a bus to work. Several places I car pooled, but often I needed to use my car during the day.

    I once had a job that allowed me to pilot a personal plane around as part of the job. Now that was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never taken a bus to work but rode many school buses on field trips LOL!!
    In Atlanta it is very dangerous to ride the transit system anytime after 6 o'clock p.m. We rode it once years ago to an event and it was great transportation in that "ridiculous" city but no longer....just too dangerous. Folks are always being robbed and some even killed but then I'm talking Atlanta!!
    I suppose I got up on the wrong side of the bed too!! grumble, grumble, grumble!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bus prices here in Mexico are next to nothing and what an experience, we just love it!

    When I rode the bus in Ottawa, I always hated it when the bus driver would yell "move to the back of the bus" and nobody would move. What part of that statement did they not understand? Or you stand by and empty seat that someone has placed their backpack/bag or whatever and won't move it until you ask them to! I did love the not having to drive in the rush hour traffic though.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. No buses in Sandwich,but we do have one taxi cab...not sure why. Growing up in Elgin, IL, we rode the bus EVERYWHERE...As a little girl, it was sometimes pretty sketchy and scarey with a few characters giving you the "hairy eyeball"...Glad we don't have them here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post brings back memories of mine riding the Richmond Express to Granville Street back in the 70’s. Vancouver has such good Public Transit. We still go to Surrey to catch the Sky Train to downtown when visiting family in White Rock. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. never rode the bus much luckily we live where parking is decent and we can drive everywhere...:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, are you sure most people follow those rules when riding the bus? Maybe they should be posted, in LARGE PRINT at every bus stop!!

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I ever have to take a bus again, I'll try and remember all those rules! Hopefully, I won't have to as I remember hating bus rides!

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of Tom's and my most interesting memories of our Hawaii honeymoon was riding the city bus around the island of Oahu. We sat right behind the driver -- and he was probably the best tour guide we've ever met! We also met some very nice locals on that ride around the island.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The only time I had to regularly ride the bus was when I was student teaching in Rochester, Minnesota. I didn't have a car, so my choice was to ride the bus or walk several miles (in the winter). Thanks for the reminder of days gone by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lot of common sense stuff...but so few seem to pay any attention. Not being a bus rider, it was interesting to read your take on transit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are the best! Take a totally mundane topic like riding the bus and make it into a fantastic blog. Proud to call you my friend. Now cough up my salad plates.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really didn't need to know that, but thanks for sharing!!! If I had to sit by you, I'd try to annoy you!

    ~hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sue - I can't pull up your new post on a quiet day at Riverbend.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Before I read the comments I thought I might have been the only who had never rode a bus...I guess not. I wanted to thank you for all your kind comments about my dad...they mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't mind using mass transit, so long as its a train, as they have right away and can go straight through the traffic congestion.

    I road the bus alot back when I was in my community college days, before I bought a car.

    Between the sheer amount of slowness of getting anywhere (Even using the train, it takes it an hour to travel the same distance it would take on a non-rush hour day to drive in 15 minutes) and the absolutely disgusting hygiene of alot of transit users or other nasty things I've witnessed, I just find alternative road routes to places....

    I'll take driving a dangerous mountain road daily over the disadvantages of transit....

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...