Monday, November 19, 2012

Singing in the rain?

 

Living on the west coast of British Columbia we are use to the rain, doesn’t make it any easier when the ‘deluge’ begins and seems like it will never end..

10

Our rainfall statistics don’t seem so bad when you look at the actual averages..it is only a few months that are really rainy?

Fullscreen capture 19-Nov-2012 200830

..with all this precipitation falling for the sky, one accessory that is a necessity is of course, the umbrella..

‘An umbrella or parasol (also called a brolly, parapluie, rainshade, sunshade, gamp, bumbershoot, or umbrolly) is a canopy designed to protect against rain or sunlight.

target-eco-umbrella

The word parasol usually refers to an item designed to protect from the sun; umbrella refers to a device more suited to protect from rain.

umbrellas9

Often the difference is the material; some parasols are not waterproof.

parasols_wedding_02

Parasols are often meant to be fixed to one point and often used with patio tables or other outdoor furniture.

Patio-Umbrella-Blog

Umbrellas are almost exclusively hand-held portable devices; however, parasols can also be hand-held. The collapsible (or folding) umbrella originated from China, and had sliding levers similar to those in use of today.

umbrellas24The word umbrella comes from the Latin word umbra, meaning shade or shadow’

So this morning as I tucked my umbrella ( an orange one, of course) into my backpack, I knew it would be a few months before I would feel safe enough to travel to work without one in my possession.

pic_L_colour_orange

..of course I would much prefer the shade of  beach umbrella..

Dewey-Beach-Service-Umbrellas-Chairs-Lynam

or even a drink with a little umbrella..

a98782_0801_umbrellas_l

but for now I will have to be happy with my bright orange umbrella to keep me dry…

Will I be ‘singing in the rain?’

singin-in-the-rain-blu-ray

‘I'm singing in the rain
Just singing in the rain
What a glorious feelin'
I'm happy again
I'm laughing at clouds
So dark up above

The sun's in my heart
And I'm ready for love
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I've a smile on my face
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just singin',
Singin' in the rain’

..somehow I doubt it?

but I will take each rainy day in stride, knowing that all the rain that falls on  the West Coast of British Columbia is a contributing factor as to what makes the landscape so green!

13 comments:

  1. I rarely use an umbrella. Instead I rely on my trusty jacket/coat hood. At least my hood doesn't blow away--it may blow off my head, but it doesn't turn itself inside out like an umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone here owns umbrellas but we all definitely own snow boots and parkas! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, I'd rather have an umbrella on the beach and beside me a drink with the little umbrella in it! Don't get too wet today

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strangely enough, we carry an umbrella in our Motorhome every year. Have never used it & not likely to ever use it here in the land of daily sunshine. However, not to travel with an umbrella would surely mean record breaking rainfalls wherever we went....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another gorgeous header photo...WOW

    Yes, I remember when we were in the Oregon/Washington coast area. One of our first purchases in Oregon was a raincoat. I wish it were a parasol but... Now that we are in Houston, umbrella put away and parasol up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I certainly prefer those little drink umbrellas...Just think of that rain as liquid sunshine...and the flowers that will come from it.."Let a smile be your umbrella"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not the rain that matters so much. It's the incessant drizzle that continues for day after day. When in the Pacific NW we have umbrellas by the door and in our car. That way we're sure to have one close when needed.

    ReplyDelete

  8. I miss a few things about home, but the rain isn't one of them, I haven't used an umbrella since I retired.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your "dry" sense of humor... ;c)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Southerns don't believe me when I tell them that West Coasters grow webbed fingers after a while.

    Very pretty post Sue. I didn't know some of the other words for umbrella.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as the deluges don't turn into storms .... Get yourself a couple of those drink umbreallas so that you can drown your liquid sunshine days in style :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess it's trying to make up for the beautiful summer of sun. Enjoyed your post. You sure couldn't get dry at Surrey Memorial yesterday. Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, one might as well sing in the rain cause crying would not do any good. No one would know if one's face is teary or just wet from the rain!

    As much as we complain, rain is good for the forest, lakes, streams and, higher up in the mountains, for the snow fall that replenishes, our drinking water sources. So, it's all good!

    Given the choice though.....I would prefer watching the rain on my iToys or on TV from the sun belt!

    ReplyDelete

The ‘Cavalry’ Has Arrived?

May 7-16, 2017 Spring has sprung and the weather that rolls in over the lake is every changing.. This morning, May 16, we woke to a ligh...