Friday, November 16, 2012

South Paw?

 

Can two rights make a left?

In our  family there are three ‘lefties’..

Our daughter is left handed, my brother is left handed and Doug’s brother is left handed.

Google is such a good resource of information. What did we ever do before google?

Scientific Left Handed Facts:

  • Make up between 5% and 10% of the population (depending on who you ask)
  • More likely to have allergies
  • More prone to migraines
  • More likely to be insomniacs
  • Use the right side of the brain the most
  • Three times more likely to become alcoholics – the right side of the brain has a lower tolerance to alcohol!
  • More likely to be on extreme poles of the intelligence scale
  • Tend to reach puberty 4 to 5 months later than right handers
  • More likely to suffer stuttering and dyslexia
  • Twice as likely to be a man
  • Better at 3D perception and thinking
  • Better at multi-tasking
  • Live on average 9 years less than right handed people

{the last scientific fact I saw when I was riding the bus this morning..(you just never know when a blog topic will pop in your head?)}

 

and then there are some interesting trivia with regards to being left handed...

Interesting Left Handed Trivia
  • Make especially good baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, boxers and fencers (almost 40% of the top tennis players are lefties)
  • Celebrate left handed day once a year – August 13th – International Left Handers Day
  • Draw figures facing to the right
  • Recover from strokes faster
  • More likely to pursue creative careers
  • Of the seven most recent U.S Presidents, 4 have been left handed
  • Left handed college graduates go on to become 26% richer than right handed graduates
  • On a QWERTY keyboard there are 1447 English words typed solely with the left hand, whilst only 187 are typed with the right hand.

black_left_handed_ps2_usb_high_quality_keyboard_small

To be a left-handed person in a right handed world what kinds of things do you need to overcome?

  • writing
  • knitting
  • typing
  • golfing
  • baseball
  • using the computer mouse

550px-Knit-Left-Handed-Step-3

..there were also some bizarre trivia facts..

Bizarre Lefty Titbits?
  • Adjust to seeing underwater quicker
  • Less able to roll their tongue than a righty
  • Nails grow faster on the left hand than the right

  just a few famous people who are left handed..

  • Bill Clinton
  • Barrack Obama
  • Joan of Arc
  • Prince William
  • John F. Kennedy  Jr.
  • Paul McCartney
  • Justin Bieber
  • Tom Cruise
  • Angelina Jolie
  • Howie Mandel
  • Oprah Winfrey
  • Mark Spitz

So, are you right or left handed? Or ambidextrous?

24 comments:

  1. Brian and Bob are ambidextrous, the rest of us a righties....except Vanessa, she's a leftie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting.
    My Dad (the only lefty of 11 kids)
    My twin (the only lefty of 9 kids)
    and my second grandson are all lefties. :)
    Great post,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a right handed person but I swing a baseball bat or golf club....left handed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister is left handed. Used to have trouble finding tools and such for left handed people. Scissors come to mind.
    I think every one else in our extended families is right handed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No lefties here ... interesting factoids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter and grandson are lefties. My husband leans left maybe because he started out as a lefty. Interesting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my brothers is a leftie, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the header photo.
    Our daughter is left handed. It was a plus for her. She was our pitcher on the high school and traveling team. Her pitches move so much more than any right ganders. Very difficult to hit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm like Al...right handed, but I've always been a left handed hitter with bat. Never knew why that just felt natural. Had to learn to golf with normal right handed clubs, and that always felt awkward. Made a good excuse to explain why my golf score was always higher than my bowling score.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was just fun. I am so right-handed. It's like my left one is totally useless for most things. The only leftie in our family is one of Jim's sons.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're both righties, but have one leftie daughter, and yes, she is prone to migraines. Neither of us swing a bat or a golf club, we don't play tennis so can't go along with Al or Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, that's an excellently framed header picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brother is left handed but he writes with his right hand. He was forced to learn to write left handed when he attended a boy's private school.

    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, thank you. We have NO NONE in our family. Wonder what that means?

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only lefty in my extended family was my cousin. I remember that at family dinners she needed to be seated where she wasn't bumping into any of the rest of us right-handed people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mother is a lefty, 3 of her six children are lefties (the other 3 who are the righties were all born in September). Of her grandchildren, 3 of the 12 are lefties (all are boys) and all of the great-grandchildren,4 so far,are righties. Interesting facts in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally right handed...I cant' even do stick figures with the South Paw..

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am left handed my mom was left and my daugther is a lefty. I bat and golf right. And we are the only ones in our right minds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. All of us are right handed here except my oldest who is a lefty. Interesting list of famous left handed people. Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete

  20. I am a lefty, my parents were both right handed, I have twin brothers who are mirror twins, one is brown eyed, shorter, and right handed, the other is blue eyed, taller and left handed. One of my sons is brown eyed shorter and right handed, the other is blue eyed taller, and left handed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You find the neatest things to blog about. My brother is a lefty, he does somethings lefthand but a few things he will do righthanded. Funny isn't it!

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband and I are both right handed, but one son is a lefty. However, my grandmother was a lefty and so is one of my sisters, as well as one of Grant's sisters.

    Very unique scientific facts about lefties!
    And you thought you had blogger's block! LOL
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. ambidextrous here...I can write with both hands, throw a ball, bowl, swing a bat <--left...I knit right and crochet left...I tend to read magazines from back to front..(not books tho)...I do use the computer mouse with the right hand...one of my daughters is a leftie (her dad is left)..the rest are all righties..so I can teach one to knit and one to crochet...I did have a stroke and did recover very quickly...thanks for the trivia..good to know...

    ReplyDelete

Settling in..

April 16-26, 2017 The past ten days have gone by very quickly.. We got settled in the compound within a couple of days… The tent survi...