It has been two months and one day since I last did a blog post..yes, we are still here..very much alive…just been counting down..
The only pictures I have taken it seems are of items we are trying to sell..
and the only words I have written as of late are ads for Craig’s List..
We have both come to the realization that it’s just ‘stuff’..boxes and boxes of stuff..
from sheets and towels, to dishes and crystal..
oh sure we have saved a few items that are now stored at Doug’s brother’s ..and we are bringing some small items with us but the rest will meet their demise either by being sold or given away..
One man’s trash is another man’s treasure?
It is ‘freeing’ to rid oneself of all the stuff..
I just look at all the things we have accumulated over the past 30 plus years of marriage and it’s constricting that we are so consumed by our ‘stuff’..
There have been days where I look around and have ‘morbid’ thoughts..’what if we were to die tomorrow?..what would our daughter do with all this stuff?’
and it is these thoughts that have gotten me through some of those ‘boxes’..
We have managed to sell quite a few items..and we are now down to the last few things..
We have made a few trips to our local Value Village…
We had one ‘garage/condo sale..that was very disheartening..one big $20 sale..
This whole process of purging has been a learning curve..
We have hit a few bumps in the road but our items to be sold are dwindling..
There are those ‘craig listers’
- who pretend to be interested in the ‘stuff’..say they are going to show..and nope..
- or there is the ones who offer a pathetic monetary amount..
- or the one’s who want us to deliver?
only a few more things to go that are worth selling..and then we will be done with this part of the process..
Now don’t get me wrong ..we are very grateful for those that did purchase from us..we met some interesting people..
Everyone has a story to tell..
- there was the blue suitcase that was going to be used for a trip to Ethiopia
- the pencil drawings that a couple from England bought
- the freezer that was going to be a prop on a TV show
- the bar fridge for a daughter’s study area
- the fishing waders for a new steelhead fisherman
- the fly-tying box that we sold in Princeton, to a guy who just had shoulder surgery
- the man who bought the shelving units because his room mate was using his pots and pans and eating his food..now he was going to set up a ‘storeroom’ so he could lock his stuff up..
..like I said it has been an interesting process..others have done it and we will too..one day at a time..
So now as Christmas is almost upon us..it would be time to focus on that..at least for a few days…
..our Christmas decorations are minimal..
..but these few items have made the ‘cut’..some things I just can’t part with..
Thanks for hanging in there with us..we know that one day this ‘will all be worth it’